““Climate change is a fact.” Really?
A recent Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report concluded that vaccine effectiveness is between 52%-68%. The caveat here is the term ‘medically attended’. I interpret this to mean that ‘of those people that sought medical attention.’
Of all the coverage of events in the Ukraine over the last few days, I’ve seen ~~precious little~~ no explanation of the backstory. WikiPedia has excellent background on Yulia Tymoshenko, who has a Ph.D. in Economics. What does she believe? Would the overthrow of the current president be an improvement for the people of Ukraine?
Here’s a quick summary of what I can piece together:
- She favors Ukraine joining the EU
- She favors Ukraine joining NATO
- She favors and has fought for the sale of natural gas between Russia and Ukraine be done without middlemen
- She is doing all this while trying no to antagonize Russia
James Rickards’ 2011 book Currency Wars includes a significant explanation of how Russia uses ‘blue fuel’ as a weapon in chapter 8.
This week we learned Forbes and Kickstarter experience security breaches. Forbes makes no mention of it on their site. Kickstarter contacted all members and helpfully suggested using software to create and store passwords (like my favorite, 1Password). My son asked me last night why all this is happening now. Good question. And I don’t know the answer.
If you’re wondering if your information is already ‘out there’, go to https://haveibeenpwned.com/. Here’s a summary of who has been pwned so far:
I personally am using cash in many transactions rather than a credit or debit card. When I do use a card, I use a Debit card that is independent form my bank, like Simple. And of course I use 1Password to create and store my passwords.
If you’re looking for more information on these topics, head on over to Krebs On Security. Brian Krebs is an independent security researcher and journalist. What you read there is not simple reprints of what other have done. Brian is a primary source for me.
25 Ubuntu tips for beginners | TechRadar. If you’re messing around with Ubuntu like I am, this page has some nice suggestions for things to do right off the bat, including:
- getting up to date
- distribution upgrade
- installing extras
- get Synaptic Package Manager
I just had to restore a Joomla site after a PEBBAK problem (Problem Exists Between Brain And Keyboard). I resigned myself to it taking all day. Thanks to AkeeBackup, I’m back up and running in under an hour. And I just signed up for the pro edition to automate the backup process. Hey, I’m a doctor, not an IT professional.
I’ve been hosting a Minecraft server for my son on a Linode for some time. Linode now has a great tutorial titled “Minecraft on Linode with Ubuntu 12.04“. My son recently asked for my help installing a Terraria server as well. Now, since I am not good on Linux it took me most of an afternoon with many false starts, but here are the steps for a Linode:
1. Create new configuration profile and install Ubuntu (see Getting Started)
4. Terraria is an .exe file, so you’ll need to install
mono to run it on Ubuntu. (Supposedly, all versions of Ubuntu over 10 have it installed, by my fresh Linode Ubuntu 12.4 installation did not).
sudo apt-get install mono-complete
6. Create folder named ‘tshock’ in home directory and make the permissions ’777′ (right-click, Get Info…)
sudo chmod 755 tshock
7. On your home machine, download the current release of TSHOCK. (If you grab an old build, it may not be compatible with the Terraria client the player currently has installed.)
8. Extract the archive and copy the files into the newly created tshock directory with Transmit.
wget [link to version you want to download]
unzip TShock\ [filename].zip
rm TShock\ [filename].zip
9. Back in the Terminal now, navigate to the tshock folder:
10. And launch Terraria as follows:
screen mono TerrariaServer.exe
Apologies in advance to Linux/Ubuntu purists for not doing everything in the Terminal. If you have suggestions for improvement, please post a comment. If this does not work for you….I have no idea how to help you.